Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Don't Mess with Texas (What I Liked About the Lone Star State)



  I think it is time that I wrote something about what I found good about living in Texas. I lived in the Lone Star state for almost seven years. I worked, scratched and clawed my way to earning a degree at a Southern Baptist college that clearly has some issues.

However, despite my intense fear and loathing for much of what I encountered at that Baptist college, living in Texas was not all bad.

In fact, I found most of the people outside Southern Baptist fundamentalism to be decent and honorable people.

I worked at a church that was very good to me. The people there were amazing and adopted me as one of their own. 

I often feel bad about writing on my issues with the Southern Baptist Convention, because lost in my campaign against the SBC, is the great time I had with people outside of fundamentalism.

I also made friends with several people inside that Southern Baptist school, so my time there was not all bad.

I owe all my friends at that school and outside of the SBC a word of apology. I have not forgotten your acts of kindness towards me nor your friendship.

 I do not want you to get caught up in my world, so I have not included you in my posts on this blog. Thanks to all those who reached out to me. I would not have made it without you!

As for Texas, I liked most of it. Most of all I loved that Texas had no state income tax. The BBQ at Railhead was amazing as was joking around with my friends about the TCU Horned Frogs and those perennial under- achievers, the Dallas Cowboys.

I will never forget those good people I met in Texas.

Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment