Monday, December 1, 2014

Born to be Wild (How I came to the Libertarian Position)





By now, if you have spent any amount of time reading this blog, you would have found out by now that I am a Libertarian. I was not always of this political persuasion, but after doing my own research and study on the matter of politics, economics and social theory, I have come to the classical Libertarian position. I no longer am a Republican per se.

That is, while I am still very much a conservative, I no longer tow the Republican Party line on every issue. I no longer believe something is true just cause the big wigs in the GOP say so.

I started down this path to independence from status quo Republican Party adherence several years ago during the George W. Bush administration. I became disillusioned with the GOP, when it was revealed that there Bush essentially sent 5,000 young men and women to their deaths unnecessarily in Iraq and Afghanistan for no good reason. Let's face it folks, there is no substantial evidence that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

I also became disillusioned with the Republican Party over its support of the Patriot Act and the TSA's unjust treatment of American citizen's at our nations airports.

Similarly, I became disillusioned with the GOP over the issue of government spending. I believe the Republican Party is just as bad as the Democrats in runaway spending and both parties have contributed to the runaway federal deficit.

I have also become very uncomfortable with the Republican Party's relationship with religious fundamentalists and do not want anyone telling me how I should live my moral life or who I should love.

As a Libertarian, I have come to believe in the maximization of human autonomy and freedom. I want to see human beings as self-reliant beings who do not need to depend on the government to meet their basic needs. My Libertarianism is an essentially a laissez-faire political philosophy advocating only minimal state intervention in the lives of citizens. While government is necessary, I believe in the least amount of government is best for human society.

In this way, I was born to be wild and free from government control, regulation and interference in my personal life. I want to live free or die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment