Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Deconstructing Evangelicalism



"If anyone is in Christ, he (or she) is a new creature, old things have passed away, behold new things have come" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

In recent months I have been asked why I blog and post so many videos. I guess that is a fair question. Here is why.

I have been part of American Evangelicalism for almost three decades. I have attended some of the most prominent Evangelical megachurches and academic institutions in America. During my almost thirty year sojourn in American Evangelical Christianity, I have seen some grave weaknesses that threaten to make Evangelicalism irrelevant as a spiritual and theological force in America. Because of these weaknesses, I believe I am obligated to do all I can do to right my own ship and proclaim the gospel in a relevant and Biblical manner. My main goal is to clear the American cultural landscape of unnecessary baggage that women and men may hear the Gospel with clarity and come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

An inherent presupposition of historic Christianity is that Christ has come to redeem humanity and set things right on this earth. While this has not happened yet in totality, we Christians concur with the Apostles Creed that Jesus will return to judge the living and dead and impart life everlasting to the redeemed. Through faith in Christ and His salvific work upon the cross we have the promise of our own salvation and the ultimate restoration of this fallen creation.

The world we live  is fallen. The evidence of this inherent fallen condition is all around us. There is much evil and suffering in this world. Our daily newspapers and news broadcasts report to us the radical nature of evil in everyday life on an instantaneous basis. As Christians who have been given the Gospel of life, we have a divine mandate and ethical obligation to proclaim the way out of this fallen situation. Because of the utmost seriousness and gravity of humanity’s predicament, I have chosen to post my thoughts on this blog. Christianity is of great importance to me. As the Apostle Paul said, “Christ is our life” (Colossians 3:4) and, “I am determined not to know anything among you but Jesus Christ and Him crucified” (1 Corinthians 2:2).

Because of the seriousness of the current situation in this world, I have chosen to rebel against status quo Evangelicalism and the archaic fundamentalism and cultural backwardness inherent in the Southern Baptist Convention. I am now arguing for what I call, “Neo-Reformationalism,” a movement of historic and contemporary Protestant and Evangelical Christianity that respects the doctrinal verities of the past but jettisons all the cultural baggage and garbage so rampant in Fundamentalist Evangelicalism. I am calling for a new Reformation within American Evangelical Christianity. I am calling for the complete deconstruction and reconstruction of Evangelicalism. I want to see the old things pass away and new things come.

So, I guess I am doing all that this to rock and sinking ship of American Evangelicalism, that many may come to know Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment