Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thoughts on the Brian Williams Scandal

                                          "Dude, I don't remember you being on that helicopter at all."

                                                            



By Lee Edward Enochs

Host, "The Lee Enochs" Show" (America"s Most Controversial Podcast).

For my video response to the Brian Williams scandal, see: 
 https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205109814372721&pnref=story


Since I have been going to grad school in Princeton, New Jersey, deeply embedded on the progressive East Coast, I have eviscerated aspects of American conservatism in my blogs, videos and podcasts and largely left progressive politics in America alone. This changes today.

Last week, I posted a video where I took the movie, "American Sniper" to task for seemingly glorifying  what I believe to be two unjust wars that ultimately causing the vacum that ISIS emerged from and two wars that greatly drained the US economy. I do not regret skewering "American Sniper," but I am horrified that some thought I was mocking the late Army sniper Chris Kyle. If  I did, I repent in sackcloth and bitter ashes, because I love the United States of America, the US Military and our servicemen and women who have fought for our country. Today, my exclusive critique upon aspects of American conservatism ends. Today, I begin my role as an equal opportunity offended and defender of both the right and left of the American political perspectives. For both sides of the political perspective have both good and bad to say and do for America.

As a libertarian with an increasingly independent streak, I see just as many problems with conservatism and I do liberalism in America. I also see major problems with the media elite in this country which often openly mocks and disdains conservatives and their cherished beliefs.
This whole ordeal with Brian Williams troubles me since he recounted a dramatic story that he had bravely survived a downed helicopter which came under heavy fire on March 24, 2003, during the U.S. Invasion of Iraq.

After being skewered by the very helicopter crewman Williams dishonestly said he had been with during this event, of which one crewman said, "dude, I don't remember you being there,'" Williams finally owned up to the fact he lied about the whole matter and that he was never in fact on on of the helicopter that came under fire.

Ouch....

Some of my more progressive friends may think this is ultimately not a big deal and that I am over-blowing this Williams ordeal. Nothing can be further from the truth. In good conscience, as a budding commentator on American politics and current events, I cannot hypocritically turn a blind eye to the true fact that Williams has participated in an over a decade long self-aggrandizing tour and personally enriched himself at the expense of the real servicemen who bravely endured this downed military helicopter.

One can only hope that electronic pundits such as Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Chris Matthews will verbally skewer Williams as they normally do conservatives.
With laser light intensity, the b.s. and platitudes for Williams' mea culpa need to be cut through and shredded, since he only came forth and admitted, his often repeated lie because he got caught and exposed as a shameless fraud by the very servicemen who is said he risked his life with.

As a person who spent close to a decade in the Bible Belt where conservatism, patriotism and traditional family values are eviscerated by the secular news media and Hollywood, Williams' admission to false war glory is not going over well and will not let him off the hook ever. His credibility has been demolished and he probably needs to step down as the anchor and visible face of NBC's nightly news.

One can only hope that the cast of SNL will trash and skewer Brian Williams for his fraudulent self-glorification as they do almost every public conservative in this country. I for one would like that late night comedy troupe declare, "Live from New York, it's Brian Willams, the debonair news anchor, who lied his arse off to get rich and famous at the expense of the American military that he and his fellow news people often undermine and criticize."

No comments:

Post a Comment