Monday, November 3, 2014

In Search of the Authentic Jesus

                                                     

                                               
                                                        "Seek and you shall find"
                                                          Matthew 7:7

By virtue of the fact that this blog's primary focus is to deal with controversial issues, I have received an enormous amount of negative feedback regarding some of the things I have written here. Some of this negative feedback has been within the bounds of normative public discourse and debate. Other comments and private emails have seriously questioned the veracity of my Christian faith and commitment.

I very much am a Christian and want to honor Christ with every aspect of my life. I even want to honor Christ with these blog posts. I am writing these posts in order to shed light on the tremendous problems transpiring in contemporary Southern Baptist and Evangelical Christian life. I come from a distinctly counter-cultural perspective and use social media, videos, popular movies and other modes of pop-culture to often make my points.

However, I very much believe in the authentic, historical Jesus Christ as found in the infallible and inerrant scriptures. I say, I believe in the "authentic Jesus" of history, because I am just not sure if the depiction of Jesus conveyed in certain conservative Southern Baptist circles truly corresponds with the Biblical Jesus as found in the Bible and historic and ecumenical creeds. I am just not certain that the big game hunting, gun toting Republican Jesus that I often found in a Baptist seminary down south really is the authentic Jesus of Scripture and of historic Christianity.

I am deeply and profoundly sorry that my blog posts here on a Theologian X have caused some of my Christian brethren to be offended. I apologize for this and will seek to write in a way that honors Christ and serves the body of Christ well.

I do plan to write on some of the major problems facing contemporary Evangelicalism and Southern Baptist life, but I want to write in a manner that honors Christ. If you have suggestions, please post them in the comments section provided below or email me at: lenochs66@gmail.com

I am in search of the authentic Jesus. I am just not sure if I have found Him in Southern Baptist and Evangelical circles recently.

I plan to honor Christ in my soon to be released book on a crisis I have observed first hand in the SBC.

Most certainly in Jesus our Lord,

Lee Edward Enochs
Founder and CEO
Theologian X











No comments:

Post a Comment