Saturday, November 8, 2014

Why Theologian X is Needed



 
 
Enough of the "mea culpa's" (formal acknowledgment of personal fault or error).

I have given the continuation of this blog a lot of thought in recent days. While I believe some of my critics have been correct that my experience at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and the Southern Baptist Convention has caused some bitterness to develop in my heart, I do not believe it it prudent for me to discontinue this blog outright.

For some reason, over 10,000 people have logged on to this blog and my profile page on gmail in the last month or so. This shows me that despite the criticism leveled against me and my blog, Theologian X has struck a cord with some segment of the Christian pubic and developed a small but dedicated audience (even if they do not choose to admit this).

When I came to Princeton, I wanted to write for one of the school newspapers, but the main campus newspaper (The Daily Princetonian) did not even contact me back. Perhaps that is because I am a grad student at PTS and not an undegrad at Princeton. I am not sure what the factors are, but I believe I have a gift of communication and I wanted to express it somehow.

Another determining factor in my blogging, is that Theologian X is not new. This blog has had various forms over the last ten years and I wanted it to be the primary vehicle of communication while I am in grad school.

I have a tremendous interest in theology and politics and want to use this blog to write theological and political treatises on issues facing the SBC and broader Evangelical world.

I also believe that there is definite need for my dissenting voice in the Southern Baptist Convention. I believe there are many problems and issues in the SBC that need addressing and I plan to use this blog to communicate my concern. I believe I can do this without expressing bitterness in the same manner I can write a graduate school paper on a topic that I do not necessarily approve of without communicating vitriol.

I believe, for some reason, God has allowed me to have some deal if infulence in the SBC as the recent major controversy at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary testifies. I was the student that blew the whistle on the whole matter and communicated my concern to Wade Burelson.

 I was outraged that Paige Patterson and disregarded the By-laws and charter of SWBTS to enroll a non-Christian student at my alma mater. I knew deep in my heart that it was a grevious compromise and felt it was necessary to hold Dr. Patterson accountable for making a decision that did not have the support of the alumni and board of trustees of Southwestern Seminary. I also want to bring up other issues facing the SBC as well and will do so here.

I believe this blog and my whistle blowing ministry has a place in the body of Christ and the Southern Baptist Convention. I know I will have critics and some will say that I need to shut this blog down. I have thought about it, and I believe it is important that Theologian X stay online to address important issues facing the SBC and present day Evangelicalism.

I also believe a space is needed for Christians who do not fit the staus quo mold seen in much of contemporary Evangelicalism and the SBC. I want to communicate in a way that is relevant to our culture and use images and modes of communication readily identifiable to postmodern culture. I want to relate to to secular culture in which we live.

I want to communicate my concerns in a godly and Christ-like manner. I would appreciate your prayers as Theologian X goes forward.

I do believe in a free press and believe that it is important that this blog continue in order to be vehicle of free speech and dissent in the Southern Baptist Convention.

One of the main reasons why I am continuing this blog is because some people in the SBC have told me to discontinue it because it rocks the boat. Well, sometimes the "boat" need to be rocked and in the case of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, the whole entire foundation of that school needs to be shaken to expose the issues that have been transpiring there since Paige Patterson took power in 2004.

I also am working on my first book that should be released in about a month. It deals with a major issue and leader in the Southern Baptist Convention. It will be hard-hitting and will hold no punches in getting to the truth on a matter of dire importance for the SBC in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment