Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Why I do not support the American Sniper Movie

I cannot support a movie that glorifies unjust wars


                                                         by Lee Edward Enochs
                                                                  President,
                                                        The Princeton Conservative Club



Unless you have your head in the sand and do not follow the news, you have probably heard something about “the American Sniper Controversy” that has erupted in America in recent days. This particular tumult was caused by some comments by the liberal film director Michael Moore who said in a very provocative comment on his “Twitter,” that snipers are cowards. 

If this was not enough to set off one of the biggest controversies of this new year, comedian Seth Rogen, of “The Interview” fame, also said some aggressive and disparaging remarks against the new Clint Eastwood directed film, “American Sniper” Starring “Silver Linings Playbook” megastar Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller, who starred in the first G.I. Joe film a few years back.

As a Libertarian, I find myself in the crosshairs of controversy once again, because while I am very appreciative of Chris Kyle’s (the actual real life “American Sniper”) military service and patriotism. I believe the reasons for America’s involvement in the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were dubious at best and possibly criminal at worst.

I do not at all support these wars and believe that George W. Bush was either a liar who deliberately misled the American people about weapons of mass destruction being in Iraq or he was just an idiot who sent over 5,000 Americans to their death for no good reason. 

These two costly and grossly unnecessary wars were a massive drain on America’s economy and accomplished absolutely nothing positive for America’s image, national security and diplomacy around the world and in the region that these wars took place.
In all actuality, the war in Iraq and the removal of Saddam Hussein from power was the direct reason for the rise of ISIS (the Islamic State) and is currently causing us major headaches and heartaches in the Middle East.


                                   The late Chris Kyle, the so-called, "American Sniper"

I do not support these wars in any sense and believe Bush mislead the American people in declaring war on these two countries and will go to my death as a major opponent of George W. Bush’s war policy and Patriot Act. While I do appreciate Chris Kyle’s military service, I do believe the film, “American Sniper” glorifies America’s presence and participation in these two unjust wars and that is unconscionable to me.

 I find myself torn between appreciating the heroism and patriotism of Chris Kyle and my absolute disdain for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I absolutely disagree with America’s participation in these wars, so I can’t support this movie at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment